I just completed judging more than 40 of the nearly 1,500 total applications that the LIFE Foundation received this year from college-aged kids applying for over $100,000 of scholarship funds.
Each year, LIFE solicits applications for its LIFE Lesson’s Scholarship Program. The applicants submit stories about how one or both of their parents died with no life insurance in place (or not enough life insurance).
The judging is absolutely gut-wrenching. Every story is unique and emotional, but they all contain certain core elements:
- disrupted families
- dreams denied
- inability to stay in the family home
- surviving parents taking on more than one job to make ends meet
- siblings often being split up to live with family
- reliance upon good neighbors and family for support
- realization that after the funeral is over, everyone else’s life continues
- sometimes there is addiction and pain among other family members
- kids having to work way too early in life to help support their family
- kids missing out on “growing up” and normal school activities
- abrupt changes in plans
- relocation to other cities to be near family
- grandparents, aunts and uncles being put in positions they didn’t seek
- kids saying, “If my mom or dad had only known the problem this has caused”
- realization that life will never be what they had hoped and dreamed for
- kids saying, “I’ll never leave my family is this type situation.”
- kids saying, “If only an agent had talked my dad or mom into buying life insurance.”
- the burden of long-term debt due to mounting student loans
It doesn’t have to be this way. While LIFE is pleased to be able to give a few of these deserving kids an opportunity with some financial assistance, it would be a whole lot better if there were no kids who needed LIFE’s help.
The bottom line is that if you have someone who depends on you financially, and you have too little or no life insurance, you need to do something about it right now. Not later. Now. You can start by finding out how much life insurance you may need with LIFE’s easy-to-use Life Insurance Needs Calculator.
You can also help these deserving kids by donating to the LIFE Lessons Scholarship Fund here.