Life insurance can do some pretty amazing things for people. It can buy loved ones time to grieve. It can pay off debts and loans, providing surviving family members with the chance to move on with a clean slate. It can keep families in their homes and pre-fund a child’s college education. It can keep a family business in the family. It can provide a stream of income for a family to live on for a period of time. First things first, though: you need to own life insurance.
Too many Americans do not have adequate life insurance protection. According to the industry research group LIMRA, 95 million adult Americans have no life insurance whatsoever. Here’s the bottom line: A majority of families either have no life insurance or not enough, leaving them one accident or terminal illness away from a financial catastrophe for their loved ones.
What if you were suddenly gone and your family had to manage on their own? When was the last time you did the math to make sure your loved ones would be financially sound? Have you checked with your employer to find out what kind of life insurance benefit you have through work and whether you have the option to increase your coverage? When was the last time you had your life insurance needs reviewed by an insurance professional?
To make sure Americans are reminded of the need to include life insurance in their financial plans, the nonprofit Life Happens coordinates Life Insurance Awareness Month. Each September, Life Happens is joined in this educational initiative by more than 100 of the nation’s leading insurance companies and industry groups.
Life Happens’ website is the leading source of objective information about life insurance. Spend a few minutes learning more and trying our interactive tool that helps you first find out if you have a need for life insurance, and then assists you in finding out how you can get the coverage you need.
Every day, millions of Americans put their families’ financial futures at risk by not owning any or enough life insurance coverage. Many people are simply unaware of how to purchase coverage and don’t know where to turn for help. Eight in 10 Americans aren’t sure how much and what type to buy and worry about making the wrong decision. That’s why each September the nonprofit Life Happens brings the life insurance industry together in support of Life Insurance Awareness Month.
If you’re one of the tens of millions of Americans who is underinsured, we urge you to get the protection you need, today. Below is a roster of member companies and industry organizations that have participated in the LIAM campaign in years past. They share Life Happens’ commitment to public education, and any of them will gladly assist you in obtaining the right coverage for you and your family.
Member Company Participants
- AAA Life Insurance Company
- Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America
- American National Insurance Company
- Anthem Life Insurance Company
- Anthem Life & Disability Insurance Company
- Assurity Life
- Auto-Owners Insurance Company
- The Baltimore Life Companies
- Bankers Fidelity Life Insurance Company
- Catholic Financial Life
- Catholic Order of Foresters
- Catholic United Financial
- The Cincinnati Life Insurance Company
- Colonial Life
- COUNTRY Financial
- Crump Life Insurance Services
- Dollar Bank Insurance Agency, Inc.
- EMC National Life Company
- Farm Family Life Insurance Company
- First Command Financial Services
- First Investors Life
- Genworth Financial
- Gleaner Life Insurance Society
- Grange Life Insurance Company
- Greater Georgia Life Insurance Company
- The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America
- Harleysville Life Insurance Company
- Horace Mann
- Illinois Mutual Life Insurance Company
- John Hancock Life Insurance
- Legal & General America
- Liberty Life Assurance Company of Boston
- Lincoln Benefit Life
- Loyal Christian Benefit Association
- MassMutual Financial Group
- Midland National Life Insurance Company
- Minnesota Life
- Modern Woodmen of America
- Monumental Life Insurance Company
- National Slovak Society
- New York Life Insurance Company
- North American Company for Life and Health Insurance
- Northwestern Mutual
- Ohio National Financial Services
- Penn Mutual
- The Pharmacists Life Insurance Company
- Principal Financial Group
- Protective Life Insurance Company
- Quick Life Center
- Royal Neighbors of America
- Sagicor Life Insurance Company
- Southern Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company
- State Farm Insurance
- Sons of Norway
- Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company
- UniCare Life & Health Insurance Company
- USAble Life
- VantiLife Insurance Co.
- Voya Financial
- Western Fraternal Life Association
- Western Reserve Life Assurance Co. of Ohio
- Woodbury Financial Services
- Association Participants
- The American College
- Association for Advanced Life Underwriting
- GAMA International
- The International Forum
- Life Insurance Direct Marketing Association
- LIMRA International
- Million Dollar Round Table
- National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors
- National Association of Independent Life Brokerage Agencies
Life Happens’ LIAM Plans
In addition coordinating the industry-wide Life Insurance Awareness Month (LIAM) campaign, Life Happens works hard throughout September to encourage all Americans to take stock of their life insurance needs.
Here are some of the things we did this past September to get Americans thinking about their need for coverage.
Boomer Esiason Is Playing for “Team Life Insurance”
You may know Boomer Esiason as a record-setting NFL quarterback, or from his on-target commentary as analyst for The NFL Today on CBS, and co-host of Boomer and Carton on WFAN. But this past September, he was playing for “Team Life Insurance” as the spokesperson for Life Insurance Awareness Month.
There’s a good reason Boomer is so pro life insurance. “Most people don’t know that I lost my mother to cancer when I was just 7. I was handed a tough life lesson at a very early age. I thought it would be good for other families to learn from what I experienced,” says Boomer.
From the beginning of his career, starting with the NFL, Boomer has protected his family with life insurance. “I have a beautiful family that I love and … that I’ve protected with life insurance. It’s my responsibility to make sure that if something happens to me, my family will be taken care of financially,” he says. You can read more about his story here.