NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
- Eligibility: The Life Lessons Scholarship Program is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, who are between 17 and 24 years of age, have experienced the death of a parent or legal guardian, and are currently enrolled in, or have been accepted to, a college, university or trade school within the fifty (50) United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico. Employees of Life and Health Insurance Foundation for Education (“Life Happens” or “Sponsor”), Weber Shandwick, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising, and promotion agencies, and any such employee’s immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses) and those living in their same households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter or win a scholarship. A minor should have a parent’s or legal guardian’s permission to enter. Void where prohibited by law. The Scholarship Program is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- How to Enter: To enter, visit www.lifehappens.org/scholarship between 9:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on February 1, 2017 and 4:00 p.m. ET on March 1, 2017 (the “Entry Period”) and complete and submit the online application form, including an essay of no more than 500 words or video entry of no more than 3 minutes describing the financial and emotional challenges you have experienced as a result of the death of a parent or legal guardian. You must explain how the lack of adequate life insurance coverage (or no coverage at all) impacted your family’s financial situation. Comment specifically on how things might have turned out differently for you and your family if the person who died had adequate life insurance coverage. Also indicate what you have done to provide for yourself and/or other family members because of financial challenges your family has faced. Online entries must be received by 4:00 p.m. ET on March 1, 2017. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Limit one (1) entry per entrant. Entry must be submitted in English, be entrant’s original creation, be true and verifiable, created solely by entrant, with no restrictions or limitations on entrant’s right to submit, or Sponsor’s right to use, the entry. Entry may not have previously won a scholarship from Life Happens. Entry must be 100% original and not contain third party materials subject to copyright including but not limited to music, video clips, artwork and photos. Entry cannot defame or invade publicity rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or proprietary rights. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party’s pre-existing work does not qualify as entrant’s original creation. Entry may not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by judges in their sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entry it deems to be inappropriate, offensive or is not in keeping with Sponsor’s image, in its sole discretion.
- Judging: All eligible entries received will be judged by a panel of qualified judges on the criteria of: (1.) The compelling nature of the story; (2.) How instructive the story is with regards to the need for proper insurance planning (i.e., how the lack of adequate life insurance coverage impacted the family’s ability to meet future financial goals); and (3.) The determination of the student to not allow his/her loss to prevent him/her from realizing the goal of obtaining a college degree. Potential winners will be selected around July 2017 and will be notified by telephone and/or email. In the event of a tie, such tied entries will be re-judged by an additional “tie-breaking” judge based on the criteria set forth herein. Sponsor reserves the right not to award all scholarships in the event it receives an insufficient number of eligible entries that meet the minimum judging criteria, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor also reserves the right to reallocate scholarships from one form of entry (written essay or video entry) to another should it receive an insufficient number of entries that meet the minimum judging criteria, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- Scholarship: Grand Prize (4): $15,000 scholarship, to be paid directly to winners’ college, university or trade school (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $15,000 each). First Runners-Up (6): $5,000 scholarships, to be paid directly to winners’ college, university or trade school. ARV: $5,000 each. Sponsored scholarship (2): $12,500, to be paid directly to winners’ college, university or trade school. ARV: $12,500 each. Sponsored scholarship (1): $10,000, to be paid directly to winners’ college, university or trade school. ARV: $10,000 each. Sponsored scholarship (5): $5,000, to be paid directly to winners’ college, university or trade school. ARV: $5,000 each. Total ARV of all scholarships: $150,000. All federal, state and local taxes and any other costs and expenses not specifically stated herein as being awarded are the winners’ sole responsibility. No transfer, assignment, cash redemption, or substitution of scholarship except by Sponsor who may substitute a scholarship with one of equal or greater value, at its sole discretion. All scholarship details are at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
- Scholarships sponsored by third parties (“Sponsored scholarships”) may be awarded by selection of the third-party without regard to the rules in paragraphs 2 and 3.
- Winner Notification: Potential winners will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and (where legal) Publicity Release within 7 days of issuance of notification. Noncompliance with the foregoing, these official rules, Sponsor’s inability to make contact with a potential winner within a reasonable time period or scholarship notification returned as non-deliverable, may result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s discretion, a runner-up may be notified.
- General Conditions: By participating, each entrant (or, if a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) agrees (i) to be bound by the terms of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects; (ii) to release Sponsor, Weber Shandwick, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any liability, loss, injury or damage to entrants or any other person or entity, including personal injury or death to participants or any other person or damage to personal or real property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of entrant’s participation in this program, the use of any entry or acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a scholarship, and any claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity and/or copyright infringement; (iii) to indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from any liability, loss, injury or damage related to entrant’s participation in this program, the use of any entry or acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a scholarship, and any claims based on rights of privacy, rights of publicity and/or copyright infringement and (iv) to the use by Sponsor and its designees of his/her name, city and state of residence, likeness, voice, actions and biographical information for advertising and promotion purposes in any and all media now or hereafter known throughout the world in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification permission, unless prohibited by law. Should any portion of the program be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, or submission of entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the program and select the potential winners from all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, submissions. Released Parties are not responsible for printing, typographical, technical, telephonic, computer, human, network or other errors relating to or in connection with the program, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in any program related materials, the administration of the scholarship program, the processing or judging of entries or the announcement of the scholarship; for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, inaccurate, undelivered, damaged, delayed, garbled, illegible, incomplete or postage-due entries or mail. Released Parties are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to individual’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in this program or downloading any materials in this program. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER REMEDIES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ATTEMPT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Use of Entry: By submitting an entry, entrant (or, if a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) agrees Sponsor, its member organization licensees and its agents shall own the entry submitted (including all rights embodied therein) and that it and its designees may exploit, edit, modify, and distribute the entry and all elements of such entry, including, without limitation, the names, likenesses, voices and actions of any persons or locations embodied therein, in any and all media now known or not currently known, throughout the world in perpetuity without compensation, permission or notification to entrant or any third party. You further grant LIFE the right to allow promotional materials that include your Entry to be embeddable by the public via YouTube or other online video or photo services.
- Sponsor: Life Happens, 1530 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 1060, Arlington, VA 22209.