LIFE Kicks Off 2006 With All-Time High In Company Membership, Funding On The Rise, And New Board
January 27, 2006 – The Life and Health Insurance Foundation for Education (LIFE) today announced that company membership has reached its highest level in the Foundation’s 11-year history. LIFE now has 114 member companies, including most of the nation’s leading life insurers. In addition, contributions from member companies grew three-percent in 2005 compared to the prior year.
“More companies than ever are recognizing that supporting the LIFE Foundation is one of the most effective ways to make sure important educational messages about insurance reach the millions of Americans who lack sufficient coverage,” said David F. Woods, CLU, ChFC, president of the LIFE Foundation.
LIFE’s public education program consists of advertising, aggressive outreach to the consumer media, a growing array of print and multimedia educational resources, a highly ranked website, the annual realLIFEstories Client Service Award program, and an award-winning high school insurance education program. Since 2004, LIFE has also coordinated Life Insurance Awareness Month, an industry-wide campaign designed to educate consumers and get them to take stock of their life insurance needs.
“Life Insurance Awareness Month has emerged as a very important new role for LIFE and one that has definitely helped us strengthen relationships with the rest of the industry,” said Mr. Woods. “Thanks to the success of LIAM and our growing industry support, LIFE is well positioned for the future."
The LIFE Board of Directors
LIFE also announced changes to its Board of Directors, with the addition of six new directors and a new Chairman.
Mark D. Johnson, CLU, ChFC, RHU, founder and CEO of Johnson Insurance Consultants and Past President of the National Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors (NAIFA), was elected Chairman of the LIFE Board for 2006. He replaces last year’s Chairman, Brian H. Ashe, CLU, a past president of the Million Dollar Round Table. Gary L. Simpson, CLU, ChFC, a past president of GAMA International, is the new Chair-Elect.
“We’re extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated group of industry leaders on our Board and know their combined experience and expertise will enhance our efforts to encourage more people to get the insurance coverage they need,” said Woods.
The six new directors are David Angstadt, CLU, ChFC, RHU, Fred R. Bean, CLU, C. Robert Brown, CLU, LUTCF, Jack Dewald, CLU, RHU, Debra C. Newman, CLU, ChFC, LTCP and Phillip C. Richards, CFP, CLU, RHU. LIFE’s Board also includes ex-officio members, each of whom represent one of its three Foundation Associate Members: LIMRA International, The American College and The American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI).
LIFE’s 2006 Board of Directors is as follows:
- Mark D. Johnson, CLU, ChFC, RHU – Chairman; Founder and CEO of Johnson Insurance Consultants, Past President of NAIFA
- David F. Woods, CLU, ChFC – President of LIFE; CEO of NAIFA
- Brian H. Ashe, CLU – Immediate Past-Chair; President of Brian Ashe & Associates, Ltd., Past President of MDRT
- Gary L. Simpson, CLU, ChFC – Chair-Elect; MetLife, Past President of GAMA International
- Allan G. Hancock, CLU, ChFC – Secretary/Treasurer; Founder and CEO of The Hancock Group, Past President of NAIFA
- David Angstadt, CLU, CHFC, RHU – Career Sales Leader, Long-Term Care, Genworth Financial; Past President GAMA International
- Fred R. Bean, CLU – Partner, Bean, Hamilton & Associates; Past President of AHIA
- C. Robert Brown, CLU, LUTCF – President of The UCL Financial Group; Past President of NAIFA
- Jack Dewald, CLU, RHU – President of Agency Services; Past Chairman of NAILBA
- Marvin H. Feldman, CLU, ChFC – Partner in The Feldman Agency; President of The Feldman Financial Group; Past President of MDRT
- Francine Jacoby, CLU, ChFC – Prudential Financial Planner; Representative of MDRT on the LIFE Board
- Richard A. Koob, CLU, ChFC, AEP – Financial Representative for Northwestern Mutual; Past President of NAIFA
- Edward Murray – Murray and Zuckerman, Inc., Past President of NAILBA
- Debra C. Newman, CLU, ChFC, LTCP – CEO of Newman Long Term Care, President of AHIA
- Phillip C. Richards, CFP, CLU, RHU – Chairman of the Board, CEO of North Star Resource Group, Past President of GAMA International
- Michael E. Rosenzweig, CLU, ChFC, AEP – President and CEO of Rosenzweig Financial Services, Representative of AALU on the LIFE Board
- Albert J. Schiff, CLU, AEP – President & CEO NYLEX Benefits, Past President of AALU
Foundation Association Members
- Robert A. Kerzner, CLU, ChFC – President & CEO LIMRA International
- Michael C. Davidson, CLU – Representative of The American College on the LIFE Board; Vice Chairman & Chief Agency & Marketing Officer, State Farm Insurance Companies
- Patrick S. Baird, CPA – Representative of ACLI on the LIFE Board; President & CEO, AEGON, USA
LIFE’s roster of member companies includes such industry leaders as State Farm, New York Life, AEGON, AXA Financial, MassMutual, Principal Financial Group, Penn Mutual, Guardian, Prudential, John Hancock, Southern Farm Bureau, COUNTRY Insurance & Financial Services, Cotton States Life Insurance Company, Farm Bureau Financial Services, Allstate, Nationwide, The Hartford, Mutual of Omaha, Genworth Financial, Thrivent Financial, and Union Central.
The Life and Health Insurance Foundation for Education (LIFE) was founded in 1994 in response to the public’s growing need for information and education on life, health, disability and long-term care insurance. LIFE also seeks to remind people of the important role insurance professionals perform in helping families, businesses and individuals find the insurance products that best fit their needs. To learn more about these topics, please visit www.life-line.org.
| Jason Adler
| Brooke Parker